"if you wish to be glamorous, become a cake baker" -The Joy of Cooking

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Polenta Cake

Since her fabulous cooking series, Nigella Bites I have been in love with the talented, beautiful Nigella Lawson.  She is my all time favourite food writer.  I have every book she has written so I'm really looking forward to her newest book coming out this November entitled Simply Nigella. For those interested living in Toronto and surrounding areas, she will be at Indigo Bay/Bloor for a book signing November 3rd at 7pm.

Yesterday I made her polenta cake from Kitchen.  I have to say Nigella Bites is probably my favourite one of her books, I have cooked almost every recipe in that book.   Kitchen is a very close second, the recipes are great especially this one i'm posting about today.  It is an orange polenta cake, Nigella uses lemon in her recipe but I didn't have any so orange it was.

Click HERE if you would like the recipe.


For the cake I used the zest of 2 oranges, this microplane is the best tool for the job



I added the zest to the butter and sugar mixture and beat it in my Kitchen Aid until nice and fluffy



In a separate bowl mix together your dry ingredients.  The cake calls for almond flour and polenta(cornmeal) and baking powder, I just used a fork to whisk out any lumps


Once the butter, sugar and zest are nice and light and fluffy and mixed together well, you will alternate adding 3 eggs one at time with the dry ingredients.


The resulting batter is very thick, not at all runny.  Nigella calls for a 9" springform pan that is buttered and lined with parchment paper

baking at 350 for 40mins

Just before the cake comes out of the oven Nigella suggests making a syrup with icing sugar and the juice of 2 lemons (I used 1 orange).  Once your cake is done baking and cooling, poke holes all over the top with a toothpick, then while the cake is still warm pour the hot syrup over




Of course the cake was great.  I love the texture that cornmeal gives to baked goods. So yummy.  I didn't have a 9" springform pan, mine was a slightly larger 10" so the cake is a little wider and flatter. You could easily bake this in a regular cake pan, I think the smallest you could go is 8" and would result in a higher cake

No comments:

Post a Comment