"if you wish to be glamorous, become a cake baker" -The Joy of Cooking

Friday, April 8, 2016

Raspberry - Sour Cream Crumb Cake

One of the biggest things I took for granted while living at home was the seemingly never ending supply of food in the pantry and refrigerator that were continuously well stalked by my parents.  I never really had to worry about grocery shopping and whenever I needed to cook or bake a recipe we always seemed to have the majority of ingredients.  

I also never really paid attention to how much my mother made an effort to ensure that things didn't go to waste and now that I'm finally married and happily cooking and baking for myself and my new husband I realize now more than ever how much food costs and how achingly sad it is when we have to throw food away that has gone past its expiration date.  

Being a newly wed has all kinds of unexpected surprises, especially since we did not live together before we were married.  One of the most difficult things for me right now is learning how to grocery shop.  I know that might sound weird, it's just food shopping right?   For me i've learned that it takes a lot of consideration and planning and going through recipes I want to try so that not only do I remember to get all the stuff I need but that I don't over buy and end up wasting food and money. 

So I had some sour cream that I did not want to go to waste and while looking through my cookbooks I came across this recipe for Raspberry Sour Cream Crumb Cake in one of my favourite books - Bake Good Things: Simple Techniques & Foolproof Recipes for Everyday Eating from the Williams-Sonoma Open Kitchen line.  

The book describes this cake as three tempting tiers of buttery vanilla cake, tangy fresh raspberries and crumbly lemon scented top...after reading that I had to make it.  

1 cup of Sour Cream - don't use low fat :P

Add the sour cream with 1 tsp Vanilla and 3 eggs and whisk until well combined

Mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt and whisk together well. In another bowl you will mix the ingredients for the crumbly top: 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup of melted butter and the zest of 1 lemon - mix well with a fork and set aside

Add the flour mixture to the sour cream mixture 

Whisk until nice and fluffy about 2-3 mins

Next pour the batter in a 10inch buttered and floured round cake pan. Sprinkle 1 pint of fresh raspberries over the batter



Sprinkle the crumbly mixture all the over the top

Bake at 350 for 40mins 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment