"if you wish to be glamorous, become a cake baker" -The Joy of Cooking

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


Sometimes nothing in the world can beat a simple, homemade chocolate chip cookie.  These cookies are the soft, chewy kind which I think are my favourite.

This recipe is adapted from William-Sonoma's Bake Good Things

Preheat your oven to 350


you will need:
1 1/4 Cups Flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt 
1/2 cup room temp unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar - firmly packed
6 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup dark chocolate chips

in the bowl of a stand mixer add the sugars and butter and beat on medium speed until smooth

in another bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda until well combined. Add the vanilla and the egg to the butter mixture and beat them until well blended, then slowly add the flour mixture to the bowl and beat on low until just combined

Then add in the chocolate chips.  The recipe actually called for 2 1/2 cups of chocolate but I found it was way too much, and I always like adding more than called for in a recipe,NEVER less! not sure if this was a typo but really just add as much as you like, I just mixed it all in the kitchen aid but you could do it by hand if you're up for it

I love using a medium ice cream scoop for cookie dough. It ensures all the cookies are uniform size so they bake up beautifully even


I slightly flatten the mounds of dough with the palm of my hand, I like to add a few more chocolate chips just on top and a little sprinkle of kosher salt.  I think flaky Maldon salt would be incredible sprinkled on top but I didn't have any on hand

I baked the cookies for 14 mins 1 tray at a time, I first start checking the cookies at 10 mins to see how they were doing, then transferred them to a cooling rack once they came out

The recipe says it makes 30 cookies, I got 24 from mine. I guess it just depends how big you scoop your cookies out.

Click here to take you to Williams-Sonoma Taste Food Blog for the original recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment